Search Lobsterland

Thursday, August 04, 2005

If I Could Build A Gulag

Note: This was forwarded to me by my Dad, who has a Rotary pal in the banking biz. This scam was so smooth it actually nabbed an employee of the bank while he was at work. I could see myself falling for it, so I thought I'd pass this along.

WARNING...New Credit Card Scam.


"This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona?" When you say "No," the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

In other words, it's the same as e-mail phishing, but skillfully done to get you worked up that someone's worked your card. Here's the kicker: the dude on the phone has your card number. He even reads the number to you, so it comes off as super-authentic. They tell you they'll initiate a fraud action on the phony charge, assure you that you will not be obligated for the bogus charge.

After this, they phish for what they're really after: the security numbers on the back of the card. The ones you use when ordering shit online to prove you have the card. They've given you a supposed control number for your fraud claim to refer to when you call back using the 800 number on the back of your card. They've done everything in the world to sound like they just saved you a $500 hassle come statement day. Or having your card declined as at the limit when you were sure you had plenty of room.

The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers."

DON'T GIVE THE DUDE THE NUMBERS!!!


Ask to call them back. When you do, you'll find out your Visa or Mastercard issuer is very well aware of the scam. If you goofed and gave them the security/PIN numbers on the back of your card, you'll find out you've been billed, get this, $497.99. That's right, the fee you thought you were making a fraud claim on, you get to make a fraud claim on (if they got the PIN out of you).

If I could build a gulag, I'd make sure it included a work camp for the kind of playground-strafing booger-eaters who work scams like this. Are they as bad as kiddy touchers? No, but if someone has to be the victim of a sex crime, it should be people who commit credit card fraud. And the hackers who come up with new and more virulent computer viruses and release them on the internet.

Failing a gulag, perhaps we could get horse owners bored with the fox hunt and steeple chase to draw and quarter these subhumans.

2 comments:

j_ay said...

Better yet, just don’t answer the telephone.
No bank should ever call a customer at home. Correspondence should be done by mail. If they feel the need to ‘flag’ a card for questionable behaviour, (which almost never happens – as they WANT you to spend money) they can put a freeze on it, and then the next time you try to charge something it will be declined or signaled as ‘contact the bank’ and the friendly cashier-type-person can call them up for you.
I’m always baffled that these kinds of scams actually work.

Chixulub said...

I guess it's legit for them to call you if you're overdue/over the limit.

I'm not sure about the credit card companies, but Frau Lobster used to work in the catacombs of AT&T's calling-card center. If memory serves, they did indeed contact (by phone) customers who's cards were showing unusual activity to confirm that it was legit. Someone could rack up thousands of dollars in calls to Brazil or Nigeria before a letter got there.

With a credit card, since the user is going to put phony charges in contest (I assume), there's a big cost of doing business for the card issuer to manage. I'm sure, depending on what sort of red flag is going up, they use a combination of 'freezes' and phone calls. I suppose the safe thing would be to tell them you'll call them back and use the customer service number on the back of your card.

I'm sometimes baffled at the scams too (that they work). This was one I could see myself falling for maybe. The e-mails offering to sell me prescription painkillers over the internet or asking me to help some Sultan sneak money out of Nigeria or Sudan, they'd be funnier if there weren't so many of them.