Search Lobsterland

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pizza Party: Cardiac Diet Edition





I made pizzas for dinner, did things a little differently. For starters, my crust was a low sodium creation:



Pizza Dough
4 cups bread flour
1-3/4 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. 'bread machine' yeast
Knead with dough hook in KitchenAid on high for 15 minutes, divide into fourths and allow to rise.





I made my own red sauce, as well.

Red Sauce
About 1 cup homegrown tomatoes
12 oz. tomato paste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 fistfuls fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
Puree in food processor, then simmer approximately 1 hour.





I spent a minute at the store hunting for low salt tomato paste, thinking everything canned is loaded with sodium. But it turns out, tomato paste is innocent of salt in its 'regular' incarnation.







I only used the red sauce on a couple of pizzas, one a basil & jalapeƱo with both those coming fresh from the front yard garden. The other was a curry leaf & seitan (a wheat-based protein meat substitute). Then I did one with olive oil and black olives to placate my daughters, who are often not that adventurous, and used my homemade pesto for the sauce on a seitan & black olive pie.



I suppose I could have gone fully vegan and used soy based fake cheese for this project, but those are awfully expensive substitutions and mozzarella isn't the worst cheese in the world if you're avoiding saturated fat.

No comments: