Search Lobsterland

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Koshers



Better late than never, I hope. Meant to get these broken down into jars and in the fridge on day four. but as it happened it was more like six days from when I brined these cukes.



They taste fantastic, with a lactic rather than acetic acid character, a lot of garlic flavor and just a touch of heat from a couple of jalapeƱos and a couple of Thai chillies in the brine. I'm tempted to take some of the leftover brine and make a quart of pickled jalapeƱos from our garden.



Three or four cukes had gone mushy and were discarded, but the rest had pretty decent crunch and a really good kosher dill flavor. Fitting all eight jars of them in the fridge was a trick, I may try making a smaller batch next time. Corinna thought slicing them into spears would make them lose their crunch quicker, and I don't know one way or the other so some jars have whole cukes and some jars have spears. You can fit more spears in a jar, that's for sure.

You can see my recipe in the link above, I would say for my taste you cannot use too much garlic and you could probably up the hot pepper count, maybe double it or a little more.

No comments: