Search Lobsterland

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Less Than Epic

I was going to try and ride a century for my birthday. Past couple of years, I did a mile for every year, but I wanted to do more than a 42 miler. I had to skip Bike MS this year and I hadn't had a truly long ride since Memorial Day weekend, when I did 108 fully loaded to Big Lake.


I also had a pretty serious list of errands I needed to run if I was taking the day off work, and between sleeping in (which was a glorious birthday gift to myself, thank me very much) and stopping to attend to business I only managed 64 miles.


Gallmeyer came with, and that slowed things down a bit, too, as he had errands to run as well. And Brian doesn't live in time anyway: he'd have gleefully finished 100+ miles with me, but we'd have finished in the middle of the night and I had to work the next day.


And he's good company. I probably could have made the century riding solo, but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun.


To my surprise, Brian led me on some trails I hadn't ridden, one I didn't even realize was there. I've ridden the street parallel to it many times, never realized there was also a trail running up Tomahawk Creek Parkway. Since it was the middle of a weekday, there weren't a bunch of pedestrians choking it up, so we made great time what with not having to stop at intersections.


He also showed me a good east/west route through southern Johnson County I didn't know.

No comments: