Search Lobsterland

Monday, September 26, 2011

Dancing in the Street

We were just out for a walk in the neighborhood one fine September evening and heard music. There was a block party going on, great Mexican snacks to be had, people dancing to a band, the works.

I inquired what the occasion was, and it turns out it was El Grito de la Independencia. The Mexican equivalent of the Fourth of July, though apparently fireworks don't figure in to it so much.

Yeah, I know. I thought Cinco de Mayo was their Independence Day, too.


Then, at the butcher counter, when I asked for some chicharrĂ³n de cerdo, bistek suave and queso fresco, stating a preference for El Mexicano brand rather than FUD* for the latter, the butcher asked me if I was married to a Mexican. He wasn't the regular butcher, or he'd know exactly who my significant other is, but I was surprised by the question.

Nope, I said. This is just the best fresh, cheap food in walking distance from my fiance's house.

He then told me he had another customer who was married to a Mexican, but knew no Spanish. To make this customer even more interesting, the butcher told me the wife barely has any English. They must have the most spectacularly entertaining fights.


*True story: FUD is an acronym for
Fino, Unico y Delicioso, Spanish for "Refined, Unique & Delicious." I don't know if El Mexicano is any less 'refined' but it tastes and crumbles better.

No comments: