Search Lobsterland

Friday, September 03, 2010

That Friday Night Lights Thing

Gardner-Edgerton High was the Metro Sports game of the week, meaning we'd be on TV. Which made it seem natural to go pay to sit in the bleachers instead of watching the game on TV where we'd really be able to see what the hell was going on.







Unfortunately, it was a bit of a lopsided game. Don't get me wrong, just because I'm a Chiefs, Royals and Pirates fan, doesn't mean I'm into losing. It doesn't. Really.



Beautiful, cool weather, found some friends and hung out. I was impressed with the fan support of the visiting team, Blue Valley West Jaguars. When I was in high school, I don't remember many visiting teams putting much more than their marching band in the bleachers. They filled the visiting bank and made a lot of noise.







So it wasn't dramatic. Rockhurst was playing Hutchinson, the team that beat us in the state championship game last year, and the score updates from it were far more intriguing (I guess Rockhurst managed the W by one point, 29-28 in overtime). It was fun, though, and Len Dawson was maybe twenty feet from me before he got bored and left.





It's better for everyone if the teams are evenly matched, and in this case, for whatever reasons, they weren't. It was 49 to 7 when we decided we were chilly and left with eight minutes left in the fourth quarter.





Maybe part of the reason I don't like seeing such a lopsided score, too, is I'm still scarred by my Shawnee Mission North years, when almost every week we were on the receiving end of a beating like this. And not because we were playing teams that had placed second in the state the year before, I seem to recall at least one school running up the score on us and finding out later that was their only win of the season.

No comments: