Search Lobsterland

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Okay, They Got Me

I've been carrying the same Nokia cell phone, buying prepaid minutes, pretty much as long as I've been divorced. It was a few months after we split up that a communication flub left one of my daughters at the door of an apartment she didn't yet have the key for with nobody home and me on the other end of town trying to figure out why she wasn't at her school where I was supposed to pick her up.

I've been ribbed for carrying an antique, one that uses smoke signals instead of cell towers and which offers Morse Code in lieu of texting. Slight exaggeration there, but it was a beat up old thing. The zero didn't work real well and the display was pretty scratched up, but I only averaged about ten to fifteen bucks a month buying minutes a thousand at a time.



It's been almost a week since I saw that old thing. I've looked high and low, tried to call it to reveal its location and it goes straight to voicemail.

So I bought a new phone, a cheapish one, though there are a few out there for even less. This was the cheapest one that came with the T-Mobile guy figuring out how to port my number to the new phone and get it to work right. It took him most of an hour, I'm sure I'd still be trying if I'd saved twenty or thirty bucks and tried to figure it out on my own.

Aside from the suck of having to buy the phone and spend an eternity in the T-Mobile store is I don't know anybody's phone numbers, they're all in the lost cell's contacts.



It's hardly a 'smart phone,' but the new phone has a camera, and I took a picture of Em taking a picture of me with her camera phone, but I can't seem to get the pic from the camera to my iMac. There's no cable connect as far as I can tell, it has a USB power chord but that doesn't fit my camera USB cable. I can send the pic as a message, but only to another cell number, not to my email address, and when I tried the 'Web2go' option to see if there was a way to do it there, I was told I had an unavailable network.

Em will no doubt roll her eyes and exasperatedly explain how I go about finding the network and uploading to Facebook Mobile or something like that. To hear her tell it, I'm a true Luddite.

No comments: