Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Tso Gettin' Ready

I was overdue to visit the Asian Market in Olathe. The one off I-35 and Santa Fe. He has everything, or near enough everything.

I was out of fish sauce, hoisin sauce and white peppercorns, so like I say, overdue. Then my latest fascination with trying a General Tso's Chicken recipe sent me in search of 'dark' soy sauce (I thought they were all dark), white and szechuan peppercorns, and black vinegar.

Near everything, this guy doesn't carry the fresh curry leaves I rely on for my Goan curry thing, and it turns out he doesn't carry szechuan peppercorns for the same reason.

Another member of the citrus family, apparently these peppercorns (that aren't technically a pepper anyway) are also a cousin to citrus fruit and carry a disease that can wreck an orange grove.

From 1968 to 2005, there was in import ban on the things loosely enforced, I gather). Then, supposedly, if they're pasteurized (heated to 160ºF), they are allowed, but either this shop owner hasn't got that memo or there's a more recent renewal of the ban that hasn't made the Wikipedia page.

I guess maybe eventually I'll just have to set up my own greenhouse with the grow lamps pot growers use to keep myself in curry leaves and other citrus cousins. Imagine the embarassment, taken down in a DEA raid only to be turned over to the FDA or USDA for growing something that tastes good but won't get you high.

No comments: