Search Lobsterland

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Marble Show


























I won't lie to you: the girls were not down with this field trip. I wanted to see the marbles on display at the 10th Annual Marble Crazy and it was on the way home from church.

Em copped a 14 year old attitude, Mo just kept saying, 'Go home soon.'







Something about Mo just inspires people to give her stuff. The main thing she showed interest in was the texture of the eggshell foam material a lot of the displays used to hold their marbles.








Yet one of the vendors said, 'I'd like to give this to your daughter.' I had two daughters with me, but it was obvious which daughter he meant. 'It's hand made.'



It was a handmade marble. I don't know a lot about them despite our numerous visits to Moon Marble. There are a couple of bubbles that look stray so maybe it was one that didn't turn out as planned. But it's still a handmade piece of art glass at a 100% discount just for being Mo.






At another table, bags of marbles that were marked with a price were suddenly free to both my girls, though Mo was the only one who took them up on it. Not sure why Em didn't accept the gift, the offer was plain as could be, take a bag of marbles.





I shot a lot of pics as you can see, and to contrast with people who just decided to give my kids marbles, one of the vendors tried to get me to pay $5 a shot for shooting pictures of his marbles after I'd already shot a half dozen frames. One of those scenes where he must be kidding but he didn't seem to see any humor in it.





Amazing some of the effects people manage to get.






Em found a charm she liked and I asked if she had brought enough money to pay for it. 'I can't read the price,' she said.







$40.

'That much for this???'







I said, 'Hey, that's made by hand by a guy who has to eat ever few hours.' A guy who probably paid a fee to set a table in this room and spread out his wares for you to want if you can have them for a Wal-Mart price.








No comments: