Search Lobsterland

Monday, March 29, 2010

Active Recovery

I asked Jewya if we were taking The Hill, basically out of habit. I guess the theory with the Trek Recovery ride is we start off the year with shorter rides and then build up.

She said 'Probably not.' Given how sore my sit-bones are after yesterday's 33 mile adventure, and how my thighs feel when I transition between seated and standing states, I figured I'd better not push it.

Then we got to Johnson Drive, and apparently several riders (who were so far ahead of me I didn't witness it) asked, 'Are we taking The Hill?'

So we did. I'm in better shape than I was last June when I took cycling up. Which isn't to say I'm in the condition I got in by November. So as I huffed and puffed up 55th Street from Merriam Lane, I said to myself, 'Self, you asked for it. Explicitly.'



It wasn't that bad. I had enough spare lung to frighten a few kids. I shouted 'Car Back' like I'd just been shot and delighted at the sight of a 14-year old (I'm guessing) falling off the pedals of his BMX and looking back with a startled WTF expression on his face.

Three girls his age who were walking down the sidewalk in the other direction laughed at him and as I rode by I informed them in a loud monotone, 'I am happy!'

One of the three had the quick wits to say, 'You should be happy. It's a happy day!'

And then we had our first full-fledged Margarita Monday at Dos Reales. For that deep down body thirst, a Dos Reales margarita puts back what the bike takes out. With interest, I'm sure.

A great time, and I almost learned enough Spanglish to find a bathroom in Mexico without hopping up and down on crossed legs holding myself until someone feels sorry for me.

No comments: