Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Lush-ious

I listen to the Johnny Dare Morning Show quite a bit. My clock radio is set to 98.9, so I wake up pretty much every day to the best shill in Kansas City.

Johnny tries to come off as Mr. Blue Collar, but really, he's got to be raking it in. Just in terms of lifestyle, the travel, motorcycles, etc., nobody with a regular job could keep up. And I'm cool with that: whatever KQRC/Entercom pays him it's probably a pittance compared to what he makes for them.



Anyway, Johnny's been going to Vegas a lot lately. Twice in a month or so, where I woke up one day and thought it was a replay until I realized I hadn't heard this particular riff on Vegas.

I wouldn't be surprised if all these rants are paid for in full by the Vegas tourism people. Regardless, Buddy Lush is an image I can embrace. I don't even like gambling, can't imagine why I'd go to Vegas and listening to this rap I wanted to become part of Buddy Lush's entourage.

And Johnny mentioned that Buddy Lush would need business cards, cards that just said, 'Buddy Lush, Worldwide.'



Buddy Lush can only take off his sunglasses to shower or sleep. Can only take his suit off for sex, can only pack what will fit in his briefcase. He can only eat steak, can only have a mixed drink if it's his breakfast bloody mary. He doesn't use credit cards or ATMs. And nobody talks to Buddy Lush.



So I made the cards. And Johnny talked about them this morning, but he reduced me to 'some guy' dropping the cards off without explanation. So I sent this email to station, we'll see what happens.

Hey, I'm 'some guy.' I was listening to your riff on Buddy Lush the other day and you said Buddy Lush would need business cards that only said, 'Buddy Lush Worldwide.'

I said to myself, 'Self, you have the juice to make that happen.' And I do, so I did. I thought I knew exactly the sort of cheesy fonts to use, too (I'm a graphic designer by trade and honestly, Buddy's cards make my eyes hurt but they are totally what I pictured listening to your description of him).

Anyway, being proud of where I work, Almar Printing (working there is why I have all that juice), I enclosed my own business card in the box thinking maybe the cards would be good enough to warrant a plug. You talked about the cards but referred to me as 'some guy,' so maybe you can't say where they came from without my boss writing a check to your boss.

If you can't, I totally understand. You are the best shill in Kansas City, and if you can't tell the audience where Buddy Lush gets his business cards just for a box of cards, that's cool. On the other hand, if the next time Buddy Lush comes up in the program you can mention that Buddy Lush gets all his printing done at Almar Printing, that would make my day. My week and even month. I think it would be great if your listeners knew where real international entertainers get their raised print business cards.

2 comments:

Johnny Dare said...

Hey MRL... sorry about the omission of names and companies the first time around but I got your second email and pimped you and Almar printing a couple of times, the cards are LUSH-IOUS!!! Thanks for the box of them..

Johnny Dare

Chixulub said...

Yeah, I hear you ready my email about ten minutes after I had to tune out Wednesday morning. I'd love to get a tape of the show, I couldn't find a podcast.