Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My ADD Isn't, Hey Look, Bulldogs!

Me and Roj started the Brewery Ride early. Because we're slow. Me because I'm old and fat and Roj because he only has one gear on his childlike BMX.

We figured starting 45 minutes ahead of the official start time we might not be the last ones back to the brewery. Wait until 6:30 and the whole crew is half drunk by the time we'd roll in, cursing the darkness and wondering if we'd followed the route accurately.

So less than four miles into it, we were riding and talking, talking a lot. We both have attention spans Cal Tech scientists have failed to detect, but this was really bad. I thought it was obvious we turn left to cut back over to 71st and catch Lamar. Roj thought it was obvious we turn right. And we were so busy talking we forgot to communicate and we ran right the fuck into each other.

The good news, we remained upright. The bad news, those stupid stunt pegs on Roj's BMX stabbed into my front wheel and broke two spokes.



I thought the ride was over, and I was pissed. But we found a way to bend the broken parts so they didn't catch on anything and finished the ride. We got passed by the Animals before the halfway mark and passed by the slow kids about ten minutes later.

It was dark when we got back to the brewery, cursing the darkness and trying to blame our slow pace on broken spokes.

Roj thinks he can fix the wheel himself and true up both my wheels while he's at it. I know he works on lots of stuff, I just hope he knows what he's doing so I can fail to keep up with the Blue Moose ride on Thursday.

18.4 miles, 10.3 mph average, 31.1 maximum speed (woulda been a little faster but that fast stretch on Lamar, I worried about my front wheel tacoing and applied brakes when I wouldn't otherwise).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to love running in the 71st + Lamar area. In fact, I built a number of long runs along 71st in that part of Overland Park.

Sorry to hear about your crash!

--Liz M.