Search Lobsterland

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Perchance to Dream

I don't normally remember my dreams, but I remember this one.

Well, most of it anyway. It involved some friends, the husband and wife that make up half the garage band I've been playing with.

In the dream, and I don't remember everything, but I think our combined families went to Ren Fest. Me and my daughters and them and at least three of their kids (they have two together and each has a kid or two from previous marriages, the modern version of a nukular family).

I don't remember anything specific of Ren Fest in the dream, but we were heading home on I-435 and that's where we had been I think, when I realized that I was having trouble seeing because J was sitting on the hood of my car holding his youngest (who's about two) on his lap. I started freaking out because what if I had to slam on the brakes?

'There'd be nothing but a grease stain where you guys hit,' I said.

'Nah, we're fine,' he replied. His wife was next to me in the car, and I think she was uneasy about his being on the hood but what could you do? The car seats five people and there were five kids and three adults riding. I think the extra kid was crammed in the back seat or something.

So we stopped at a roadside ice cream stand near I-435 and I-35, one that doesn't exist. But nonexistent ice cream stands are nothing in a dream where friends of mine are riding on the car hood with tiny kids and thinking this is okay.

And I think, though the dream gets hazy here again, that we ate ice cream at picnic tables at this roadside stand that doesn't exist and J's wife mentioned that she also had some natural yogurt she'd brought along and had been carrying in her purse.

What does this all mean? And what could cause such a dream? Playing 'Modern Love' and 'Vertigo' together?

No comments: