Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Bro

My brother's birthday is tomorrow. If I'm sometimes surprised a kid who took the chances I took as a teenager could live to be an adult, I'm probably more astounded that my kid brother managed to dodge actual fratricide.



Lord knows, I tried to kill him a few times.

Today? Today we get along great. Probably as much as anything because of him. I had a conversation with someone the other day, someone who knows us both, and as I walked away, he blurted out, apropos of nothing else, 'I think the world of your brother, by the way.'



Who wouldn't?

Anyway, last Sunday we had dinner at my Dad's. Salmon on the grill, a first for both my Dad and brother. I had to reassure them that while the fire was hot, if the lid was on the Weber we would not be dining on ashes. If it was possible to incinerate a salmon fillet on a too-hot fire, I'm sure I'd have accomplished it by now. Maybe with the lid off, but control the oxygen and there ain't such a thing as coals too hot for fish.



It was a little weird, first time in my memory that we ate at this house with no children around. Nobody playing video games, blasting videos, fighting over stuff, riding trikes places they shouldn't, etc. Not unpleasant, mind you, just strange.

No comments: