Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cruel and Unusual

Em was in a mood this evening. I know, she's thirteen, she's hormonal, it's a hard age, etc. But she was being impossible.

After supper, I decided we'd head up to Celebration Park to hang out a bit. Em didn't want to go but her attitude was not making me care if she was interested. You're going, get over it. Keep up with the sourness and I'll come up with a way to make you even more miserable.

I contemplated taking a guitar along. I need to practice, and it was ridiculously nice out. The whole idea freaked Em out. I wasn't sure if I'd really bring the guitar along, not sure how well I could supervise Mo while strolling with the instrument.

I'd pretty much decided against it, and had both girls in the car. I was about to get in and asked Mo, just to see what she'd say, Should Daddy bring his guitar to the park?

Mo answers 99% of all open-ended questions in the negative, so I was impressed when she said, 'Yes.'

Then Em punched her in the face. I know she thought I couldn't see, but I saw. It was a hard punch, too, judging by the way it moved Mo's head.

So I lit into Em and she knew she was busted. Tears welling up in her eyes almost instantly.

I went and got my guitar.

I contemplated making myself even less invisible, maybe by stripping to my boxer shorts before playing the guitar, but I settled for just noodling around on the instrument.

Em has been trying to figure out the depths of how much trouble she's in, and I haven't entirely decided. While I punched my brother many times, he not only deserved it (in my mind at the time anyway), but could and did hit back and/or tell Mom. Mo could hit back if she wanted to, I guess, but that's not her way, and she doesn't really have the verbal skills to tell on her sister. And how could she 'deserve' it for answering an innocuous question?

No comments: