Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Probably Not The Lesson I Needed...

I'm a pack rat, I'll just put that out there right here at the beginning. I keep shit I have no earthly use for, all the time.

So anyway, this whole playin' in a rock band has got me doing some solid-body playing (on a borrowed, cheapie solid DeArmond). Though, especially when practicing alone, I find myself playing Modern Love and Rock This Town on my handmade archtop.

So anyway, the guitar before this handmade axe, my Yamaha, is a hell of a nice axe in its own right. And it's gained favor for the basement rehearsal scene because it has less acoustic life and thus feeds back less.



But when I got this Yamaha, I was fully enthralled in a case of prima donna jazz snobbery and was convinced I'd never want a solid-body guitar again. So I traded my solid-body in when I got the Yamaha to save a couple hundred bucks.

This was a guitar I'd given $350 for (if memory serves) when I was 15.

It was a Gibson RD Artist, blonde with an ebony fingerboard and active electronics. I had the active electronics removed because they wouldn't quit picking up KUDL's signal. But it was a great guitar, set up perfectly, a little on the heavy side but incredibly playable and it sounded great.

Now that I'm garage-banding it, I want that RD Artist back, and badly. I don't have any money, but I got curious and checked out the eBay situation vis-a-vis my old axe. Here's a starburst version of the same, I can buy it now for $1895. Here's another, a '78 that I could have for a mere $2449.

To revisit: I bought it for $350 when I was 15, sold it, effectively for $200 when I was 17, and if I want it back it'll cost me arround two grand.

The lesson? Never, ever, let go of a possession. No matter what. All the useless shit in my house, if I get rid of it I'm guaranteeing I'll want it back when it's unattainable.

No comments: