Search Lobsterland

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Master Thespian: Acting! Genius! Thank You!

Em's play was Friday night. She played Igor in Sleeping Beauty and the Beast, a sendup that besmirches the entire fairy tale genre. Kind of like Shrek sans ogres. Performed by 7th & 8th graders.







As usual, I clicked away like a fool with my camera. I'd have posted this last night, but there were literally more images than I still had the energy to cull for postables.





Why, you may ask, do I take 301 photos of my daughter's play? Because I'm a compulsive person, an addictive personality? Or because I've learned that in low light/long distance situations sometimes only 1 out of 300 images turns out to be worth a shit? Both, honestly.







And I shoot a lot in Manual, a lot in Aperture Priority, too, and I like to bracket my shots. Shoot at two or three shutter speeds, ISO settings or apertures, knowing some will be overexposed, some under. Underexposed is easier to fix than over, and since that underexposed shot tends to have the shorter shutter, that means it's likely the least blurry in this setting.





These kids worked their fool butts off on this. Every day, after school, rehearsals until 5:30 for three weeks. 6:00 on Wednesday, the final dress rehearsal.





And they got to sign the wall in the men's dressing room (for some reason, the women's is off limits for this).







I'm pretty sure Em is going to audition for every play that comes along from now on. Like a fat man looking for fried food.

No comments: