Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day You Irish Bastard


A friend of mine used to hand out business cards that said that. And in the lower right corner it said, 'Printed in England.'

Anyway, I wore my hat and my green today. I've outgrown taking Irish nationalism seriously, but it's still fun to wear an idiotic hat and cook corned beef.



Actually, I'm not that big on corned beef. I can eat it, but I won't pig out on it. Em was curious about corned beef and cabbage, so I made it.



I slow-cooked the roast, onions, potatoes and carrots in the oven for 24 hours at 170ºF. Then I moved it all to to a big stock pot on a head of cabbage cut into eighths and kicked the heat up to 300ºF for a couple hours.



Anyway, Em and MO obviously loved the meat part. Em was put off by the cooking of cabbage: she prefers it raw (and wriggling).



I can take or leave the meat on this one, but I like the cooked cabbage when it's done this way, and the taters & carrots.

Me and Mo posed with our gangsta signs (whatever they are). A picture of family harmony that doesn't jive with ten minutes later, when she had worried a hole though the red bear's feet and started removing stuffing. Then she tried to throw the bear in the trash and when that got her a time-out, she proceeded to rebel further. A thirty minute crying jag, two thirds of it in time out, ensued.

Throwing a fit has never worked for her but she has apparently not given up hope. Meanwhile the half-destroyed bear is in the lockup with the Oreos she also lost this evening...

1 comment:

Chris Meadows said...

I don't know if it's your friend or someone else, or even where he got the cards or what they mean, but someone here in Panera in Springfield MO handed me one of those cards, and I found this blog entry when I googled on it.

http://twitpic.com/18eaq7