Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Long Commute & Slow Learners

Okay, if I thought it took a long time to get home last night, it's because it did. This morning, I figured, would be different. Twelve hours to clear the snow & ice, lay the salt and sand down heavy. Plus I figured it might be a snow day for school, which always lightens the rush hour.

It was not a snow day.

But maybe it should have been, because if it had, there's a chance the morons who made late for work this morning would have been home with their school-cancelled children bitching about the weather instead of playing Demolition Derby on I-35 and I-435. I think if you asked the people in question, they'd agree that it would be better if they hadn't driven anywhere today.

There were still icy patches, slick spots. Glare, lots of glare.

But no excuses. I have a friend who got charged with reckless driving a few years back. It had just stared to rain, the roads were slick. He didn't contest that it was his fault, he didn't contest that he should have to pay a fine. But the reckless driving charge was the harshest he officer had at his disposal, and Roj though it was too much.



He went to court to plead his case, and the judge said that he and every other at-fault driver that day was guilty of driving recklessly. Pay the freakin' fine kid and get out of my court.



And, sorry Roj, the judge was right. You drive for the conditions. I'm not without sin, though I have benefited from slightly more lenient cops & judges on the whole. But I've been at fault and I've paid the fines and increased premiums and whatnot.

And I've learned from the stupidity. I don't drive like a maniac (much) anymore.

Apparently there are slower learns than me.

No comments: