Search Lobsterland

Monday, December 01, 2008

A Day of Modest Accomplishments

Building and repairing the Lobster fleet. Somehow, this took up the vast majority of my last day off this year, and I feel I have little to show for it.





Part of this is because of an Estes Eggscaliber kit I tried to build despite hating every aspect of its design. Which is to say Em hounded me to buy it until I did, a long time ago, and I'd never got around to building it. Still, I had it on the workbench. Then when I screwed up and forgot to do my usual shock chord mount, I tried to retro-cram it in and collapsed the whole body tube.





I think if I'm going to do an egg lofter, I'm going to scratch build. There's a dual-egg-loft competition in the club this year, and I thought of a great design I don't really have the skills to bring off, a Tool rocket with an egg in each...huevo pocket.



Maybe such a rocket wouldn't quite be considered an accomplished.



Meanwhile, I added quite a bit of nose weight to Garden of Earthly Delights. I haven't entirely decided whether to try a Level I attempt with this rocket, but if I do, I think I have the mass up front to cover it.

I have another BT80 cone with the same shape I might finish out for this rocket as an alternate nose cone if it turns out my nose weights have eliminated the use of inexpensive black powder motors.

No comments: