Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Punk Rock(et) Girl

The latest member of the Midwest Rock Lobster Space Fleet is approaching flight readiness. She shows stable in Rock-Sim and there's no worry about her being to heavy for her motor: this is the first rocket I've built with a 24x95mm 'E' motor mount. Meaning I can fly her on a C11, D12, or E9 Estes motor. Or, if I had more faith than I do in surface mounted fins reinforced by epoxy and epoxy clay fillets, I could theoretically put an Aerotech F42-8T, but that's not going to happen. She's not built for supersonic flight.



Weather permitting, Punk Rock(et) Girl will fly over Shawnee Mission Park this Saturday on an E9-4.

This is a bit of a departure, paint-job wise. I've done candy-cane striping until I'm sick of them, and I've done fades from one color to another, and just painting the body one color and the fins & nose cone another, but I've never Jackson Pollacked a rocket.

After laying down a lavender background with Krylon (and tipping the nose cone and fins with Rustoleum's Jade), I took three different acrylics in colors insulting to nature and splattered the thing. Drew an anarchy 'A' on a fin in one color and a 'DK' logo in another.

Punk Rock(et) Girl, you look so wild, let's have a child, etc.



This all started because of Der Red Max being brought back by Estes. This rocket, to my eye, is a heavy metal rocket, and I can dig it. If I was going to buy a kit, it would be in my top three or four sport rockets.

Also on that list, the Flintstone's rocket, Estes' Rock-It and Snitch. And the D-Region Tomahawk, the Mean Machine, Spaceship One... Okay, it's a top ten, not a top three or four list.

Anyway, I got to thinking, why not a Punk Rocket?

Then Em got worried when I referred to the parts I was about to start gluing together as 'he' (i.e. 'He'll take an Estes black powder E motor'), she got her Feminist Bossy Boots on and told me we were lacking in gender equality in the Lobster fleet.



Plus, I've played her the Dead Milkmen since she was three, so this was inevitable.

I thought of trying to hang a price tag off it, but Em only knows Minnie Pearl from the Dead Milkmen song, she's never seen Hee-Haw. Isn't that more luck than a kid could deserve?

No comments: