Search Lobsterland

Monday, November 12, 2007

Brick & Mortar

I've ordered a fair bit of rocketry stuff online because I haven't found what I wanted on the shelves of Hobby Haven, Hobby Lobby, etc. Hobby Haven does a better job than Hobby Lobby, but the guys who run it are more RC airplane and car enthusiasts and model railroaders. Which are great diversions as well, but their rocketry section would be a little better stocked and a little less random if they had an active rocketeer on staff.

So I've been looking for a motor to get Floyd launched next weekend, and Hobby Haven doesn't have it. They can get it, but they order the stuff so infrequently they told me I'd be better off ordering it online.

So much for supporting your local merchant, eh?

Well, the trek to Parkville last weekend is not in vain. H.M.S. Beagle was indeed out of the E30-4T Aerotech motors, but I gave my name and number and before they could even special order it for me, it came in. They do have an active rocketeer on staff, a very accomplished one (his two stage scale model of a Canadian sounding rocket hangs in the store—a rocket that's hit 16,000 feet), and it makes all the difference.

Not only that, but they can ship it to me for a price that's comparable to what I'd pay BMS or another online vendor. It's good to do business with a local business, especially one that works hard to be worthy of the trade.

Weather permitting, Floyd will leave the launch rod on Saturday. Well, weather and the FAA. He's heavy enough to require an FAA notification.

1 comment:

Sid Leavitt said...

Dear Mr. McBride:

My compliments on your website, which I found through the Beagle Project Blog. I administer a website, Readersandwritersblog.com, that promotes good writing, and I'd like to add a link to your site on our blogroll.

When we add a site to our blogroll, I write a post about that site explaining what I like about it. I'd like to send you a tentative version of what the entry about your site will say. I often revisit the entry for editing before posting, so I like to check with authors about any factual or contextual errors I have made. (I don't need additional information, just a heads-up on any errors.)

However, I can find no email address for you. If you will email me at sidleavitt@yahoo.com, I'd be glad to send you an advance copy of our entry.

I plan the post and the blogroll addition for Nov. 18. If I don't hear from you before then, best regards.

Sid Leavitt