Search Lobsterland

Monday, October 22, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year



Halloween is pretty much my favorite holiday. When I was going through mediation for custody of my kiddos, one of those steps in a divorce that don't make the novels and movies because it's not exciting like adultery and domestic violence, the artist formerly known as Frau Lobster ceded this holiday to me.

Most holidays, we rotate. Every other Thanksgiving, Christmas, Christmas Eve, etc. It all gets spelled out down to the hour, and everything is done to make it as fair as possible.

My ex really has about as much use for Halloween as Scrooge had for Christmas. I delight in it so, and it's a holiday she just kind of goes through the motions of (as I do with Easter). She's not really a Halloween Scrooge, she's got the kiddos costumes lined up and she gives out candy and all that, don't get the wrong idea.

Anyway, I suddenly realized that while I have a few miles of Christmas lights I hang for that holiday, I do a pitiful job of decorating my house for the holiday that counts. And my ex even had a decoration on her door, so imagine my shame, being out-Halloweened by an ex who would put this on the top of her list of holidays to vote off the island.

To remedy this deplorable situation, I bought a spider. I went a bit crazy last Christmas with buying lights, but that was back when I was basking in the 'busy season' overtime paychecks at TradeNet. The good old days, before I found out how pitifully superficial Tom Mertz's integrity is.



I also grabbed some votives to light up the pumpkins from the carving party.

I have half a mind to buy a few more pumpkins to carve next week, to roast the seeds. I don't have the kids next weekend, but I do have them Halloween night, so maybe carving and roasting can be part of it along with the trick or treating and all that.

No comments: