Search Lobsterland

Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Bog of Eternal Stench

Those of you who come to Lobster Land often (both of you) might remember I had a deluge in my den a few months back. Not a New Orleans scale thing, but it managed to ruin a few hundred dollars worth of library books, a ten year archive of 'Zymurgy' magazine, and made my den uninhabitable for a considerable period of time. Also damaged were family photos, yearbooks, sentimental stuff that can't be replaced.

I have a little mini-fridge in my den that was way, way overdue for a defrost. The door no longer closed all the way. I haven't had any beer to put in it for a few days, so I've been letting it defrost. It 'automatically' defrosts when you unplug it.

The plus side is the door willingly closes fully now. I'm also probably saving on my electric bill since I'm not cooling an empty fridge. The down side is the melt has soaked the carpet in that corner of the den, reconstituting the stuff in the carpet fiber that the steam cleaner didn't get out. The result is, as I write this, I'm choking on the fumes of refrigerator piss.

Dry carpet versus dry Chixulub, I am experiencing evidence that chronic sobriety stinks. If I don't get some booze to justify plugging this fridge back in, I'll have to take up smoking again. Stale tobacco smoke would actually be an improvement over this.

No comments: