Search Lobsterland

Sunday, July 03, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?



The late start, having to replant after the great tomatocide, I was pretty demoralized about the garden. But now that I've had to shred an old shirt to tie them to stakes (something I need to do more of this weekend), I'm finally confident that we'll have tomatoes in August.



We have some fruit set, some more blossoms. Even a few peppers are starting to show up.



And the blackberries are thriving, almost too much so; see also the squash bed, the swiss chard, the riot of mint.



Corinna worried that I wasn't watering enough while she was gone for two weeks, but it rained pretty much every night and the long days of sunshine did their work with all that water.



We even have apricots, from a tree that's not even two years old (I thought they took more time to produce). I bit into one that turned out to be infested with some sort of apricot eating insects, and vowed to blaze new trails in inorganic, chemical-intensive gardening to make sure that never happens again, but maybe I should just look at the fruit and not take a bite if there's a hole in it.

The chemicals might kill bugs like this cute little guy. Not sure what he is, hopefully Worley isn't going to post a reply that this particular bug carries a virus that is always lethal to tomatoes, peppers and everything else I like to eat.

No comments: