Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Flirting with Friz

I stopped in the park to check out the Friz one fine Monday, decided to take a crack at it.

It's a skill, riding on grass. I suppose it was lazy of me to not strip my panniers off.



I managed to catch the Frisbee a couple of times, barely. But I seemed to catch it left handed and realized after throwing it badly that I should have switched it to my right hand first.

I had the impression that this was, basically, a game of catch. The structure is very, very loose (for awhile some of the riders decided the object of the game was to throw the disc down hard instead of making a catchable pass).




I guess the object of the game is something akin to polo played with bicycles and a Frisbee.

When I started, about half the crew were having a beer, and after a few minutes they came out to the middle of the field and played Rock/Paper/Scissors. They repeated it a few times until they got an agreeable combination. I asked what this had decided, and was told 'Teams.'

There's teams?

There were six riders besides me, so I guess if I had been a rock or a paper, I would have made a team lopsided. Since I can't pick the disc up (this must be done while riding; I'd break my neck), can barely catch and throw badly, I would be a pure liability. The randomness of the team picking is very appealing to me as the kid who was invariably picked last for every recess team sport ever. If they'd used Rock/Paper/Scissors at South Park Elementary, maybe I wouldn't have grown up hating sports so much.

I'm told, though, that skill and aptitude are not requirements, so I rode around in the grass and failed to make any impact on the score, if there were any points scored while I was there.

Eventually, Nixon asked me which team I was on, and I really didn't know and I wanted to get home and eat, so I bailed out.



Nixon had her tomato plants in a bob trailer, and I was struck that only two or three plants seems enough for most people. I'm not even content to stick to two or three varieties.

I think I'm going to have to keep dabbling in the Friz, though. Sucking at chess hasn't stopped me from playing over 1700 games of it on GameKnot in the past few years. My stats never get better, but I never quit playing.

No comments: