Search Lobsterland

Monday, May 16, 2011

City-Wide Garage Sale



Well, I mean to do this every year, but it's been a few years since I actually got my crap out in the driveway on city-wide garage sale day.



The beauty of the thing is people come from all over, you get traffic like you'd never get at your own garage sale, no matter how well you promote it.



I've heard it was the brain-child of the chamber of commerce, specifically our local restaurateurs who were frustrated that the County Fair being here didn't drive much traffic their way. People eat the fair food and leave town broke.



There's a bit of that competition on garage sale day, people set up concessions in their yards, selling hot dogs and whatnot, but the downtown restaurants get full up, too.



After I'd sold everything I felt I needed to get cash for, I went cruising around to see what my neighbors had been hiding all these years. I found a great antique Singer sewing machine with the book and everything still original, circa 1950, for fifty bucks.



The catch of the day, though, was the street sign that now graces the garden at the Poet Laureate's house.



It wasn't marked with a price, and when I inquired, I was told a dollar. I think the seller thought I wouldn't be able to get it home by bike, and might have asked for a bit more if they knew the sign would be leaving.



But of course, a couple of scrap inner tubes and some ancient Chinese wisdom and we were good to go.

No comments: