Search Lobsterland

Friday, May 06, 2011

Bro's Birthday @ Blanc / Plaza


We ate at Blanc for my brother's birthday. I'd never been there, it's a little outside my usual bounds. I love a good burger, even get into a bit of cheffery sometimes with my homemade jobs, but I think of Five Guys as a high-dollar burger joint and it's roughly half Blanc's prices.





Blanc's decor is decidedly more upscale, as I guess is appropriate. Not sure what to make of the miniature grocery carts the sides come in. It's a restaurant full of cute imagery but none of the images seem to tie together in my mind. I don't know if there's a theme I'm too obtuse to get or if it's just a random confabulation of white, cool gray and orange with Barbie-sized shopping carts on the tables.



I did catch my nephew smiling before he spotted my camera and paged security. He's a cute little man, almost a year old and far more serious about everything than I'll ever be about anything.





After lunch, we went walking around the Plaza. I visited the North Face store to find out about sleeping bags and such. Not that I'm in the market for these things at new retail, this was more research than anything else.






On the way we ran into a couple of really neat street performers. I remember asking at City Hall back in the early 90's about what licensing you needed to do this and they told me to go jump in a lake. The rules were so strict as to make street musicians and their ilk defacto criminals.




Apparently the city lightened up since then and realized that people like street performers. A lot more than they like idiotic city laws that ban street performances, anyway.



Or maybe the law is still the same and the recession is so bad that a the desperado count is more than the cops can deal with.

No comments: