Search Lobsterland

Monday, February 26, 2007

Chili Finale

Okay, I had to make one last batch of chili.



It started out innocently enough, with a rice and veggies thing, making some Gladwares to take for lunches. It takes so long to cook brown rice, I like to make a batch and then blend it with beans and veggies and spice it up different ways and freeze them.



This time didn't turn out so great. I'll eat it, but something wasn't quite hitting. I might try taking the cold leftover mix and doing a stirfry with some fresh onions or something.




But while doing it I got to thinking about chili. It was getting cold again, I'd spent the night waking up thinking I heard Mo to findo ut it was just the wind howling, and the mercury had dipped precipitously.



I found I had a packet of chili seasoning, plenty of Ro-Tel, beans and ground beef, so here goes.

Another disappointment. I don't know, it had plenty of heat but not enough...chili flavor. I didn't have any straight cumin to add, my first hunch as to what went wrong. Last time I try Carrol Shelby's so-called seasoning. Lame, very lame.




I've tried a bunch this year. 2-Alarm, a couple times actually, Six Gun (not bad at all). I thought there was another, but maybe I'm thinking of the two times for 2-Alarm.

I found a couple Gladwares of the batch that turned out so hot I could hardly eat it, so I'm hoping to blend that with this batch and see if it comes into balance as a whole.

I also did what I've been meaning to and added a bag of brown rice at the beginning of the boil, and that seemed to work well enough. I don't have an A/B to prove it makes a thicker chili, but the starch ought to do something, right?

No comments: