Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Monopoly

I remember when Ma Bell was broken up, Dad was upset. He liked having just one phone company rape him for insane prices. They even claimed to own the phone in your house. They expected yo to take te day off just to have service turned on. They were expensive and offered limited services.



Dad loved it. He hated competition in phone service. Still doess.

But this video about sums it up. Dad's way always wins out, because ultimately no one hates competition as much as the people who should be it's victims.

3 comments:

Connie T. said...

That is an interesting video. But I beat AT&T. I have an internet phone. Sunrocket.com, go check it out. You pay $199 for the whole year of phone service, they even gave me a phone, you get call waiting, voice mail, and no other phone bills. It works great. My sister in law got it for $199 for two years, they didn't offer that deal here, bummer, but check it out if you want to beat the phone company. You have to have I think broadband internet though, Oh and it is free long distance too.
I like your blog.

Chixulub said...

I have an internet phone deal too, though not as cheap as that. I love it, it's local calls anywhere, including my friends in DC, NYC, LA, etc.

Justine said...

"ultimately no one hates competition as much as people who should be its victims"

Interesting idea. Karl Marx wanted all the victims of capitalism to unite, but "the workers" just didn't think they had all that much in common, I guess. Then Max Weber said that of course they didn't - people aren't loyal to a "class", they are loyal to their status groups and their own interests.
Food for thought, anyway. Thanks.

:-)