Search Lobsterland

Monday, February 26, 2007

Bubba Gump Pie

I was in a cooking mood, alright? You got a problem with that? Well, step off, biatch!



Cajun macrobiotics and chili experiments don't cut it with the honyocks, so I made pizza.

Okay, I love to make pizza, love to eat pizza, I had ingredients and wanted to make pizza.

When I went to get the mozarella out of the freezer, I found a bag of shrimp. I bought it sometime during the fall, when my budget wasn't so tight. Not a big bag, a pound. Wal-Mart sells them for six or seven bucks. Not extravagant, but a luxury, one that would not find its way into the cart today.



Both the girls loves them some shrimp, and I had an idea for a shrimp pizza, figured I could grab a few of the shrimp for that and let them devour the rest straight from the bag.

Em curiously decided she wasn't hungry, and Mo ate four or five shrimp and ignored the rest. I had plenty for the pizza and even some leftover. I wouldn't have thought it possible. One time, Mo was spending the night at my in-laws (or ex-in-laws, whatever you call it) and I think she singlehandedly did in three trays of shrimp. I think when I bought the bag, it was with the thought, 'Mo doesn't have to be hungry to eat a shrimp, she just has to be able to reach it.'



But I had a can of Cream of Shrimp soup from when Em was exploring the idea of Dad buying groceries. The artist formerly known as Frau Lobster had just moved out, and we were hitting the store when Em asked about Cream of Shrimp soup. I think she mainly wanted to know if Dad would lay in things she liked to eat.




She hated it. She had one sip, I had the rest. I guess it must have been good because I bought another can that I still had a year later.



So for the pizza, I used the soup for sauce and added the actual shrimp. I also sprinkled the pie with Chef Paul's Seafood Magic before the cheese went on.

I didn't cut the soup with milk like you do when you're making it as soup, but I did nuke it for a couple minutes to make it spread easier.



Bubba Gump turns out to be one mean pizza. I had some of the leftover today at work, and yubba, it's even awesome cold.

My pizza crust recipe is as usual: 1-1/2 cups lukewarm water, 5 tsp yeast, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup wheat gluten, 4-1/2 cups bread flour, let rise 30 to 45 minutes.



Prebake crust on preheated pan at 500ºF for 1 minute, spread undiluted Cream of Shrimp soup on crust, add about half a pound of shrimp, sprinkle with Seafood Magic, cover with mozarella, and bake for eight minutes at 500ºF.



I also made a pepperoni fanatic's pie with a stuffed crust and a black olive stuffed crust for the honyock's benefit. Both of them ignored everything that came from the oven, so I have a plethora of pizza in addition to the chili and rice/beans stuff. I'm fixed for lunch for a couple weeks, maybe more.

No comments: