Search Lobsterland

Sunday, November 06, 2011

Utopia?

I'm skeptical of all utopias, and this video definitely reeks of utopia. At the same time, without getting into arguments about peak oil and global warming (if those are legit concerns, that's a pair of high-voltage kickers you may ignore at your peril), just imagine 10% of the people contributing to gridlock in cars on our freeways deciding to get on a bike instead.

Cycling For Everyone from Dutch Cycling Embassy on Vimeo.


Ten percent. That's a number that can be reached if the cyclists in question refuse to ride when the mercury is above 95ºF or below 40ºF. Also rain, they can beg off for rain days.

I begged off for a rain day Wednesday. A tire on my fiancé's car went flat and while she had a full sized spare (if anything could ultimately prove we're soul mates, it's that), I had to get the three-week-old tire that went limp to the garage we bought it from and still pick up my kids on Friday.

No comments: