Search Lobsterland

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Fluff

It was time for a new helmet, being I'd had an impact in my old one. I'm skeptical of claims that helmets need replaced every few years because the Styrofoam degrades. As far as I can tell, the stuff won't even biodegrade. But having a crack and compression from a crash, I can buy that this would affect future performance.



Meanwhile, the helmet mohawk Corinna gave me was showing the effects of a 4,000 miles of all-season riding. It was faded and dirty looking. It wasn't even dirt, it was just the sun-faded tulle clinging to the last remnants of pink dye.


Corinna bought some bright pink tulle with a denser weave and used that to make herself a new one a couple months back, and I'd been debating about it. I liked our fluffs matching, as they once did, but I don't dig the denser tulle that much and in any case, I was thinking a change of color would be nice.


I got a yard of purple at Wal-Mart and some nylon thread that resememles twine in thickness, along with a big, pink plastic needle and improvised my way to a purple mohawk.


It seems a bit taller than the old one, and it's attached somewhat differently (better, I hope). I bet some of that tall will work its way down with riding. I might try doing a multi-color next time, almost did this time.

No comments: