Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The Helmet Worked

Crossing railroad tracks like this, you want to be as perpendicular to the tracks as possible. Which is tricky where the rails divide, presenting multiple angles to try and cross.


If you screw up and hit it too obliquely, two rails maybe two inches apart will grab your front tire and try to guide it. Some sand between those rails is really bad news, because when you try to correct your front wheel, the sand acts like so many little ball bearings, and your front wheel will be out from under you before you can realize that popping sound was your helmet cracking on the asphalt.

At least that's been my experience.


I know so many riders who don't use helmets, and I know bicycle helmets aren't as protective as motorcycle crash helmets, but you never get fucked up worse for having one on. This is exactly the kind of accident a bike helmet is for.

I wasn't going fast, there wasn't a car in sight. I doubt it would have killed me or anything like that, but who needs an unbuffered blow to the temple like that?


Luckily I didn't break my collarbone. First thing I thought, this was exactly the kind of crash Roj had when he broke his clavicle. I got off with a bit of road rash, a bit of a lump on the thigh where I must have landed on a piece of gravel, and some whiplash.

No comments: