Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gobble


Our Thanksgiving Day ride (who brought the falafel to the first Thanksgiving?), we had our actual family time.


It's the sort of thing I took for granted at one time in my life, but something about getting divorced changed that.


I really enjoy my family, and that means getting together to gorge ourselves on too much food at birthdays and holidays.


It's so much fun seeing my nephew develop. My own kids are so much older, I'd kind of forgotten this age, able to walk but not really hold a conversation, curious about everything, fearful of little as long as Mom or Dad is around.


Since it wasn't my rotation to have my own honyocks on the holiday proper, me and Corinna made a bike expedition out of Thursday, went to my Mom's on Friday and my Dad's on Saturday. By Saturday, my Dad and step-Mom reasoned people would be sick of turkey, so they did pizza.


And somehow we ended up playing Scrabble at both my Mom's and my Dad's houses. I thought Monopoly, but Scrabble seemed to win out.


I new Corinna was competitive by nature (you don't make it to the Olympics if you're type-B), but I didn't realize she was really good at Scrabble. Swept three games at Mom's and one two of four at my Dad's, finishing with 'Gendered' — straddling two triple word scores for 128 points on that word alone.


Should have known, since that very game started with 'Judo' as the opening word.

Of course, I was left holding some very awkward letters. I couldn't talk anyone into accepting Esperanto proper nouns or Inuit family names.


No comments: