Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What Brought the Mayans Down?

This El Yucateco brand of habanero sauce is dear to me: the Trek Group's usual Monday night end point has the red and green versions on the table, and me and Roj often split a nacho appetizer (only in America can an appetizer be enough food to make a meal for two grown men who have just worked out), and liberal doses of that red and green stuff make it a flavorful dish.



I spotted this the other day at Corinna's favorite Asian market, the same brand but XXXtra hot 'Mayan Recipe.'




I was afraid it would be pure heat and no flavor, but I was wrong. It was amazing on a sort of huevos rancheros scramble with poblano peppers, queso fresco and dried cherry tomatoes.



I don't know if this is what ended Mayan civilization or not, but it could have at least made the whole culture go back for seconds.

No comments: