Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tragedy

I learned today that the kid driving the car under the tarp in the photo below is the son of the guy who played Daddy Warbucks in the community theater production of Annie this summer.

The kid was all of 16, by all accounts a good kid, captain of the soccer team, junior year, apparently on his way back to school for Back To School Night in a hurry when he blew a stop sign and t-boned the pickup that's twisted and turned turtle.



A back to school night I did with my ex-wife, going from class to class and proving Em's claims that it's impossible to get from one to another in five minutes wrong. Adorned by the high school jazz band which is short a guitarist if they really want to make me nostalgic.



The two in the other vehicle are described only as being in 'critical condition.' An old friend of mine who's a firefighter was one of the responders, and was described to me as shaken up by what he saw (I haven't talked to him myself).

I can't imagine what the Hurd family is going through, I get nauseous just thinking about it. I'm not a fan of teenagers driving in the first place, when I think back to my own teenage driving years and how easily I could have been the one dead at the scene.

But I took Driver's Ed, it was a precondition to my own dangerous teenage driving exploits, and it was as easy as signing up for an elective at school.

They don't have Driver's Ed at Gardner-Edgerton, or anywhere else from what I hear. I think that should change. They're still playing football, right? If you have budget cuts to make, keep Driver's Ed and cut the athletics. The athletics aren't unimportant, but nobody ever died from not going out for football.

No comments: