Search Lobsterland

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Feeling the Heat

The heat, yeah, it sucks. When I put my bike back on my car tonight, I got in and KCUR told me it as 100ºF in midtown. I wasn't there, I was maybe eight miles away, and maybe the temperature was two degrees cooler or so.

Here's how hot it was: when I got to Kathy's house, the rest of the group was waiting for me. The rest of the group was Kathy.



Thinking impure thoughts about Angelina Jolie had seemingly cured my leg, so I was ready to ride. Kathy offered me the choice, north or south, two routes that differ by eight miles. I asked why not both? She wasn't up for both, and we did the shorter of the two (north) me figuring I'd do the south after.

But when push came to shove, while I still felt fine, I said to myself, "Self, you're coming off an injury. You thought you were fine on Monday and you weren't. You will probably go so far south on this second leg you'll finish in the dark again, and what if you jack yourself up to where you can't ride this weekend?"


That's what I fear most: an injury or illness that takes me out of the saddle right before Bike MS so I can't do what I need to do.

Right near the end, when we were waiting turn off Somerset and Roe, we found ourselves waiting at the light by the main peloton of the Blue Moose ride. I told them we'd been waiting for them to finally catch up. Saw Lawnchair Larry a little earlier, more like 75th & Lamar. I think next week I'm going to ride from the Moose and do the whole route (I've always cut across Roeland Park instead of going down Puckett), now that I know I can hack the climbs in KCK.

So I called it a day barely shy of 15 miles.

Hope some folks sponsor me for Bike MS...

No comments: