Search Lobsterland

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Hitting the Slope

I can't remember the last time we had significant snowfall that came before a previous one had melted. It's almost like it's winter or something.



I took the girls out to Cleveland Chiropractic College to sled after noticing it was had a popular hill as I passed on my commute. Em didn't want to go, but being an evil taskmaster, I made her.

We had a couple pieces of cardboard, and I fell twice climbing up the hill.

Mo went first, in the box my trainer came in. Then Em refused to take her turn so I went down. Should have tucked my pants into my socks, so much snow blew up my pant-legs. Yikes. And into my face. I slid to a stop where Mo was still standing, and asked her if she wanted to go again. She said no, and Em walked back down the hill and we turned to go.



I figured I was in the clear because we were further than me or Molly slid.

But as we headed to the car I suddenly was aware that my brain was squishing into the back of my skull and all the air had been evacuated, totally and instantly from my lungs. Then I realized I'd been knocked ass over tea kettle.

A kid asked, 'Mister are you okay?'



I didn't answer because I couldn't tell. I remember thinking, nothing ever screamed At Your Own Risk more than this whole enterprise, so I guess it doesn't matter if I answered the kid or not. She didn't set out to ring my bell, it just happened.

Sledding Cleveland Chiro from Chixulub on Vimeo.



I guess the kid had a real sled and they slide faster and further than cardboard boxes do. Lesson learned.

My neck and my ribs, especially between the shoulder blades, seem to have suffered the worst of it, though my head ached a bit on the way back.

No comments: