Search Lobsterland

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Andy Worhol @ Union Station


Almost missed this, I had forgotten about it until I happened to see a sign for it yesterday.

Pricey, things at Union Station tend to be, but seeing these things in person is so different from the way I've seen most of Warhol's stuff: on a computer monitor.

The diamond dust in these screen prints, for a start, doesn't translate. If they'd allowed photography in the exhibit, I could post some pictures for you here that would still not get the effect across.

My favorite was seeing the shadow self-portrait he did in the Myths series. It takes some big balls to put yourself on the level of Mickey Mouse, Santa, the Wicked Witch of the West, Dracula, etc., as a cultural icon, but then that's a lot of what made Warhol Warhol.

I was disappointed that none of the Mao images were included, but it was still an impressive display no matter what my kids say.



Oh, and here's a tip to save you a few bucks: don't pay to park at Union Station if you're going on the weekend. The Crown Center lots are free on the weekend and connected by a gigantic habitrail Union Station.

No comments: