Search Lobsterland

Friday, January 29, 2010

The Best Kind of Bad Week

I've had a bad week, diet-wise. Wednesday, I made fried chicken for me and the girls. A lark, it's been ages since I made this.

The chicken I just dredged and fried, trying an experiment with some of it in the wok in a deep-fry situation and some in the pan in a barely halfway covered with oil deal. They turned out pretty much the same.



Then tonight I tried breaded pork chops adding some pepper, salt, garlic and paprika to the flour, then putting it in and egg/milk wash and then bread crumbs.

I realized pretty fast my oil was too hot, it was darkening almost instantly, and I ended up dumping the oil from the first two chops and starting over at a lower temperature.

I also bought two thicknesses of chops, some 'breakfast' chops barely 1/8" thick and some 'center cut' chops that were more like 5/16" thick, maybe closer to 3/8".



The thinner ones worked better, they fully cooked with about two minutes per side and that kept things from scorching. The Joy of Cooking said to use half oil with half butter, presumably for the browning advantages of butter, but straight canola oil seemed to brown before the thicker chops were done.



Gonna have to hit the trainer hard to pay for this.

No comments: