Search Lobsterland

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Belated Birthday Cake





The way the custody sharing worked this year, we had to celebrate Em's birthday on my side of the family a tad late (I guess we could have done it a tad early). I actually had the kids on her birthday, but it was a school night and didn't lend itself to a birthday party.








I love making my kids' birthday cakes. I can't believe I ever bought one from the store, though I did so for every single birthday until three years ago when I decided to try making one from scratch.







It was fun and it turned out well. I should try some other recipes, the Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake from Joy of Cooking seemed adventurous when I first tried it but now it's just a cake I know I can successfully make. It's a good cake but there are so many other recipes, I think I need to stretch my legs a bit and branch out.







I did add a new twist this time. Mo's last birthday was the first time I made my own frosting from scratch, and I did that again but with a different recipe, making a cream cheese frosting.





Bright orange because that was the color Em wanted. I had to improvise a way to put the piping on, basically put some pink frosting in waxed paper and poked a hole, squirted it out through that. I don't have a lot of practice, so the result doesn't look like the Ace of Cakes was on the job, but Em was thrilled with it.






The two tones of icing were easy to get because after I'd added enough red to get the icing pink, I just removed some and set it aside and started dumping red and yellow die in. Especially yellow, I couldn't believe how much yellow it took to get the color right.







One of my favorite things in the world is to light the candles and watch my daughter light up as Happy Birthday is sung to her.





No comments: