Search Lobsterland

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Za Dough

A high school chum messaged me on Facebook to ask if my pizza recipe was any good.

Well, which recipe? There was the one I was using from Cooking Light with a few tweaks, then there's the one I've been using since I got the antique KitchenAid. And I'm on my fifth version of it.



Right now, I'm at:

3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp. active dry yeast rehydrated in
1-1/2 cups warm water
3 tbsp. olive oil
and sugar
Beat on slow for 1 minute in KitchenAid, then 6-7 minutes on high. Divide in half and let each half rise at room temperature, covered, for 4 hours until doubled. Punch down, bag each half ina quart bag and rise in fridge for 24-hours to 6 days.



But I used a teaspoon of sugar in doughs 4 & 5, and they over-rose. Instead of doubling in 3 hours, they tripled in half that time, then overflowed the bags after I had punched them down and sealed them in quart bags. I punched them down and let them rise again.



I think maybe I'll try 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon sugar next time.



Anyway, made a pie tonight with one of these experiments. Used corn meal instead of flour on the peel, which seemed to work better. Bigger pieces, keeps the whole mess further from the wood.




Put some mozzarella, fresh thyme leaves, and anchovy fillets on and baked for 7 minutes at 550ºF.



Good stuff.

No comments: