Search Lobsterland

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Repair & Construction in Lobster Fleet



Didn't have the girls this weekend, so between band practice and Mother's Day dinner, put in some sanding time on the rebuilds of Otis & Hellboy, as well as a couple of new rockets I constructed in the fall.



I really screwed up the rebuilds, trying to use epoxy as a sealer when the garage was too cold. It took months to finally (sort of) cure. And I literally wore out sandpaper sheets trying to get it leveled out.



Started priming one of the new rockets, too.



Always a debate how much work to put in on making things look good. A good looking finish takes a lot of work, and given a 10% loss rate (on average) and the incidental cosmetic damage that routinely befalls a model rocket, as my brother put it, why finish it as if it were a piano?



Well, I guess the answer is that hobbies are all about hard work that can't be justified. But there is a limit to my sanding patience. And at this point, with Otis and Hellboy, I'd have been better of reconstructing from scratch than trying these repairs. I could have built them twice and I'm not done finishing these.

But I've come to far to abandon the projects.

No comments: