Search Lobsterland

Friday, May 29, 2009

Might Not Be Rocket Science...



Robert Goddard, the father of the liquid fueled rocket, was famous for his disasters. He single-handedly got rocketry banned in Massachusetts during his early career. He was known to have said, 'we learned things today.'

So who says pizza isn't rocket science? I made the Alton Brown pizza dough, but this evening making the pizza I still managed to learn things.



If you don't give the dough the rest period he shows, you get a super thin, crackery crust. Which is fine. But also, his dough recipe is smaller, 2 cups of flour in 3/4 cup water compared to the Lovely One's recipe of 3 cups flour and 1-1/2 cups water. The longer kneading, though, and you get it pretty darn stretchy. I stretched these out as big as ones I've made with half again as much flour and double the water, in other words.



I learned you can still tear a hole in it, no matter how well developed the gluten. And I learned that a pizza this thin does not take seven minutes at 550ºF like the ones I've been doing, five is plenty.



At seven, it's starting to be a big, flat cinder.



The pizza I didn't burn was topped with onions caramelized with fenugreek, bay leaves and fresh thyme, along with bleu cheese, bacon, dates and jalapeños.



Five minutes. Not seven. Seven is for a much thicker, bigger pizza. Which does make me wonder about the claims that a pizza oven should be 900ºF. This sounds like bachelor cooking logic, instead of 10 minutes at 250 degrees, why not 30 seconds at 5000 degrees?

No comments: