Search Lobsterland

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Worst Case Scenarios

A friend sent me 'We Need to Talk About Kevin;' Oprah turned me on to Toni Morrison. Somoene, probably Oprah or NPR (same thing, really) turned me onto 'A Map of th World.'

Not to mention Jones' 'The Known World.'

So here I am in another worst-case scenario, reading 'A Map of the World.' Well, it's multiple worst-case scenarios, it starts out evil and gets worse.

Is it me, or do I need to come up with something worse than a school-picnic-atomic-bomb to show up on radar???

1 comment:

j_ay said...

Yawn…you’d be better off with Jane Smiley’s _A Thousand Acres_...
Give up on the Pro-lox? You seemed to have finished that one quicker than your average read, so I’m thinking you had a case of diarrhea (knowing your prime reading area) or you dismissed it for what it is…
Delillo often comes up in our talks: I read _Mao II_ over the weekend; as always, he’s got some good lines and an almost ok plot (which loses way occasionally), and while I generally loathe the protag-/ antag-onist-as-writer (‘whoa is me, the lonely artist’…fuck off!), it was just ok. I’ll still get to _Underworld_ at some point…maybe.