Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Pushing The Envelope

Heh. Just remembered that along with the Playboy coffee table book, 'For Fuck's Sake' and 'Satan Burger' came in too. I own a copy of 'For Fuck's Sake' because I was in a Borders with a gift card, getting frustrated at not finding much I was interested in that I didn't already have, and saw the title on the spine.

I figured it'd have to be really good or really terrible. Book mark is still in it at page 22. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot, might try it again someday. But I'd requested it on ILL while I was requesting the Playboy and the Mellick book. Along with six or seven other things I found in the WorldCat but assumed were either already long sense stolen or were not generally let out of their home libraries.

The Madonna book 'Sex,' forget about getting that one from a public library. The few copies libraries bought were apprently immediatley stolen. Not that I really want to read that book or look at it or whatever you're supposed to do with it.

What's hard for me to get my mind around is this: these things seem so incredibly mundane to me. I grew up with ready access to books that were illegal when my Dad was in high school. In fact, what I see in the jacket copy on Mellick's book is a cry to keep pushing further, a sort of arms race of obscenity or something. I'm sure it appeals to a certain teen demographic. It might have attracted me when I was fourteen or so.

It fires up my inner Ignatius, big time. We need a good authoritarian crack-down on books. No, don't censor Mellick, the market's doing that already. Suppress books that actually make people think. Instead of giving Toni Morrison a Pulitzer for 'Beloved,' pub the bitch in jail! DeLillo, Pynchon, Philip Roth, life sentences. Of course with ready access to writing materials so they can keep breaking the law. You can get drugs in jail, I don't see why you can't also get word processors, typewriters, a nice pen. Just think how much better off Barry Hannah would be if he was the writer in residence at Parchman instead of Ole Miss! Tom Spanbauer, time to learn about really dangerous writing. A.M. Homes, you get a chance to actually write from a cell instead of pretending.

It'd totally change the meaning of the Pulitzer's or National Book Awards' 'juries.'

2 comments:

Chris said...

for fucks sake? I think I might buy just because of the title

Chixulub said...

I did buy 'For Fucks Sake' just for the title, and I guess if you want it for a novelty, that's fine. I might give it a try another time, but the first 22 pages were pretty hard to get interested in.