Search Lobsterland

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Unintentional Angel

I was just trying to get a long shutter shot of downtown from the Scout. Corinna walked into the frame, realized, stepped right back out.


As the last Bob Ross put it, we don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents. Click on the photo to embiggen if you want to see more details, but it's like the Ghost of Transportation Future looking down on the city.

Here's the shot I was trying to get. Cool, but not as cool.


Both shots have quite a bit of blowout, I should probably have shortened the shutter a bit. Still learning this new-to-me camera. It's a few years old, and the price was right, but a bit higher end model than what I've bought new in the past. Bigger sensor*, which means less noise on long shutter/low light shots, but I think it blows out easier, too. Maybe for the same reason.

It's been a fun camera to get to know so far, I may be cured of ever buying a brand new camera again; I paid less than 10% of retail and the previous owner hadn't even worn the new off it—the thing spent most of four years in a drawer until he got a new camera for Christmas and decided to get rid of the old one.

* I bought a new PowerShot in February that I loved. I got it wet, first with sweat, and then after thinking I had dried it out to functionality I got caught in a massive downpour and got it really wet. I think it's an ex-camera, bereft of life it rests in peace. It is no more. It has shuffled off this mortal coil and gone on to take snapshots of the bleeding choir invisible. The new-to-me PowerShot I got off Craigslist has a 50% larger sensor.  I probably shouldn't have bought even this one

No comments: