Search Lobsterland

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Oops I Did It Again...

Riding to meet Corinna on Thursday evening, I thought my front wheel looked warbly or something. I figured I was just being neurotic, imagining things.

Nope, not imagining. I'd busted two spokes up front.

I figured it might come to this. My back was wheel falling apart, its why I bought that Peter White 40-spoke rear wheel. I hoped that since the front takes less abuse, I'd be fine there for a bit, but no.

The thing I've learned about wheels is once you break more than three or so spokes, it's a sign the rim has actually worn out and lost integrity.

My car was, well, that's another, much longer story. The car I was driving was 13 miles away, at work. There wasn't any way for me to get to work on time the next day without mounting up.



I figured my best bet was to try borrowing a wheel for a day or two until I could line up a replacement. Maybe the front wheel that went with the new back.

I thought of just the guy who might have a spare 700C front wheel lying around.

Joel did have a wheel he could loan me, but then decided it would be easier to just fix my broken spokes. While I watched and waited. What a guy.

He did confirm that I should be thinking of a new wheel. "Three and out is my general rule of thumb," he said.

No comments: