Search Lobsterland

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Oud Grendel '09







Gawd but I loves making beer. I did have the notion that it would be a good day to go for a ride, and it's been a couple weeks since I did, but ingredients were bought, friends were press-ganged into coming over to help with The Lift* and despite my efforts to make the batch I brewed in March last longer than usual, I'm running low on homebrew, and that's a bad thing.




The propane tank gets chilly due to supercooling of expanding gas: it's stuck to my driveway.
Gentlemen, we have starch conversion!




So I hit the driveway at the crack of...Ten. I meant to be out there much, much earlier. 8:00 a.m. at the latest. We don't get a lot of daylight this time of year, and it sucks hard finishing in the dark, voice of experience, trust me.



So even though I took a nap yesterday, went to bed at a sensible hour, I overslept and put myself totally behind the eight ball.




This beer is a special one. Only a 1.084 O.G., small-ish for a Wee Heavy, but between the grain bill, the high mash temperature, the yeast selection and the 2.5 hour boil, it should be malty as hell. It should also make you wonder if you should drink it or pour it over pancakes.




*There's only one step I can't do alone with my rig. After sparging, a hot, full-near-the-top 15 gallon kettle has to go from the ground to chest level, on the King Kooker up on the cinder blocks. Even a freak body builder couldn't do that lift alone safely. Two people, even two out of shape people, it's no big whoop, but alone, it's impossible.

No comments: